Thursday, April 16, 2015

Afflicted?

I called in my affliction, and the LORD heard me and saved me from all my troubles.  (Psalm 34:6)
The daily devotional guide that I use contained some select verses of Psalm 34 today. Always curious about context, I read all of Psalm 34 in the translation from the Evangelical Lutheran Worship. This sixth verse of the psalm stood out as I read it. I noticed it, I suppose, because it resonates with my own experience. Generally speaking, I suspect that many of our best-loved scripture passages are best-loved because they speak to us in ways that are either profound or prophetic.

When I have called out to God for strength, hope, and healing, I have experienced God's presence and known saving release. Yet there are times when I have been unable to call out, or simply have not called out maybe because I never saw a need, did not believe it would make a difference, or was incapable of opening my mouth. What then?  Does God just stand back and watch us writhe in our own quick sand?

I am reminded that God is a relentless lover. Again and again God takes the initiative to seek and save. So when we are unable to call out from our affliction, or when we don't even know how to recognize that we are afflicted, God is mindful of what we need.  Our troubles and afflictions don't necessarily disappear or even dissipate. Yet we know that God, in Christ, is present and endures with us. God's decision to love creation is an unmerited gift of grace open to all people.

What do you think?
When have you called out?
Did the LORD hear you?
Is being saved from trouble the same as being moved out of trouble?
I called in my affliction, and the LORD heard me and saved me from all my troubles.  (Psalm 34:6)
+                        +                        +

Fourth Wednesdays

Because the Lenten "Soup & Scripture" evenings were such a success, it has been suggested that it should be continued in some similar but limited fashion.  How about "Potluck & Scripture" on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 6:00 PM?  We'll give it a try on Wednesday, April 22nd. A Sign-up sheet will be posted on the bulletin Board. Bring your favorite dish and enjoy an evening of sharing God's word!  Following the meal and study, there will be Evening Prayer (Vespers) at 7:30. 


Third Wednesdays

As a follow up to the recent Lenten Retreat presented by Sisters Joanne and Thelma that was so moving and thought provoking, some members of our congregation have proposed a "Study Group" to examine the writings of Franciscan priest, Richard Rohr, whose emphasis on contemplative prayer is so appealing to Christians of all faiths.  Fr. Richard's book, "Falling Upward" would be a good place to start.  Anyone interested in this initiative is encouraged to join the study group by using the sign up sheet posted on the door to Pastor Frye's study. This group will gather on the 3rd Monday of each month, from 10:00 AM to Noon, and begin on May 18th.  For more information, call the church office or Mary Ellen Fairbairn at 352-9403.


No comments:

Post a Comment