Thursday, November 5, 2015

Every Whit


What does it look like to be committed? Have you ever been "all in" with some project, effort, or passion? It's been observed that half measures avail us nothing.This may ring true on the page, but what about in real living? There are so many voices vying for our allegiance.

I'll admit that I frequently feel that I must compromise in order simply to keep my head above water. Even as I'm taking the time at this moment to sit down and work on this blog, I'm thinking about all the other places I "should" be right now. I've got to work on promoting Sunday afternoon's concert, I've got to make a few visits. I've got to help the secretary get the bulletin announcements proofed and in order because so many ignored forgot the Wednesday deadline for submissions! The sermon isn't finished yet. Gabriel has chorus rehearsal at 4:30. The leaves need to be raked. The phone is ringing. Someone just came in the door! Is it time for lunch? People are chatting in the hallway!

I'm taking a deep breath.

This Sunday we hear the gospel lesson in which Jesus commends the nameless widow who gave her all, every whit. So many throw in their two cents, but she has given wholly, all she had to live on. This widow is "all in" -- committed, invested.

With all our abundance, are we able to experience the luxury of thorough devotion? What might be some of the obstacles? What might one thing be that we could do to help clear the way?


Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

November 8, 2015

Prayer of the Day
O God, you show forth your almighty power chiefly by reaching out to us in mercy. Grant us the fullness of your grace, strengthen our trust in your promises, and bring all the world to share in the treasures that come through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Readings
God feeds Elijah and the widow at Zarephath

Psalm 146 
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down. (Ps. 146:8)

Hebrews 9:24-28 
The once for all sacrifice of Christ

Mark 12:38-44 
A widow’s generosity reveals the hypocrisy of the scribes

No comments:

Post a Comment